Thursday, August 2, 2012

Preparing a Manuscript

So I started my blog a while back because I wanted to write more… and that is basically as far as it went. I even titled it “The Smallest Sprout” because I realized that I just needed to write a little in order for it to “grow.” Of course there is no one to blame but me for not carving out time daily to do something that I wanted to do. So I’m going to assume full responsibility and just attempt this whole blogging thing again. I’m hoping to at least write four days a week.

If you are wondering why the obsession with writing, it is all because I have begun a course in which, upon completion of the course, I will have written a manuscript for a children’s book suitable to send to a publisher! I am so excited because I have wanted to be a published author for a while now; at least for the last six years.

I have 10 assignments to complete over the next 40 weeks, and I’ve already sent in one-a short story.  So nine more to go. Now I’m just waiting to hear back from my advisor on what she thought of my first story. Unfortunately, the first assignment had to be sent by snail mail and must come back by snail mail so the wait is excruciating. However, I get to send the next assignments by email so response will be much quicker. Yay!

I think I realized that I could achieve this goal two summers ago when I completed the Summer Institute of the Appalachian Writing Project. I am so thankful for that opportunity. I just hope I can be as successful as other members of the AWP.

I know this blog seems all over the place, but that’s what happens when I don’t sit down to write often. I have so many things I want to discuss, but they should each have their separate blog. Just maybe I’ll get a chance to dive in to one of my topics tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. That's so neat, Tara! Can't wait to read more about your children's book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definitely let you know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete